The different strands within Maths are taught as block units of work. Each block enables pupils to build on prior learning and make the necessary connections.
All pupils have access to a daily maths lesson. In addition, all classes have a discrete 10 minute session, with a number fact focus.
Within our Maths curriculum we aim to ensure all pupils:
- become fluent in the key aspects of mathematics, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- reason mathematically by applying mathematical knowledge and understanding ensuring they use justification or proof using correct mathematical language
- can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
Within daily and weekly maths lessons the different aspects of problem solving are inter-woven through reasoning, word problems and open-ended challenges. During these activities pupils have the opportunity to independently communicate and show their mathematical thinking. All lessons encourage 'talk for maths' and correct use of mathematical vocabulary.
- Key Workers
Covid-19 (Whole School - 20/03/2020)
- When the Pumpkins came to Birklands
Pumpkins (Whole School - 23/10/2019)
- Junior School Councillors
Nightingales have elected Millie and Jenson as our school councillors. (Year 3 - 11/09/2019)
- House Points
Weekly totals (Whole School - 17/06/2019)
Welcome to Miss Watson (Whole School - 30/03/2018)